Tuesday, December 7, 2010

How tough are we?

So, I was reading another blog that commented on Robert Latimer recently being granted parole, and I added a comment "anonymously".  Robert Latimer, in case you don't know, was the father of a severely disabled young girl whom he "mercy" killed.  I put the quotes around mercy because I'm not quite sure how to describe it.  The blog I was reading described it as murder and he was convicted of second-degree murder, but I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it - explains why I posted it anonymously... sort of.

I think that unless you've walked a mile in someone else's shoes, it is very difficult to second guess a decision they make.  We may not agree with the decision/action someone else has taken but... the only thing we can control is our reaction to it.  Conversely, people are judgemental by nature: We make judgement calls on a daily basis from what we wear to what we eat or choose not to eat to whom we speak to and whose phone calls we decide not to answer.  Anyone who says "I don't judge people" is lying.

I can only guess that he and his family must have been at the end of their endurance and that unfortunately, social services and their support networks were not able to meet their pleas for help. At least that is what I'd like to think.  We, the parents of children with special needs, are a hardy lot.  However we all have our limits.  He and presumably his wife felt that this was the only way out for their daughter; that is incredibly sad. 

'til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment