Thursday, December 16, 2010

Adaptations part 2

I can't believe it has been a week since I've posted - and here I had made a commitment to try to do it daily... maybe I need to be committed?  It's a possibility.  Anyhooo...


So, by the time I return to work from the Christmas holiday, we should full into our home adaption/construction work.  How do I think it will go?  I think it will be a nightmare.


We’ve been in “negotiations” for this for the last 5 years or so and we are still having problems.  For example, we've just realized that the designer had removed the vanity and medicine cabinet in our bathroom and we've purchased new and smaller ones to replace them.  However, our current lighting is attached to the medicine cabinet and that is NOT being replaced.  Why?  The designer apparently forgot to include it and since we've blown the 16K budget, we have to pay for the light and the installation ourselves.  Or we can choose to showing in the dark.  It's not that its expensive; we actually found a light for under $60 that we liked (that's what made us think about the light and ask what kind it was going to be), it is the principle.  This is her job; she should do it properly or take responsbility when she fucks up.  The designer's reaction?  "oh, I guess I forgot".


As a parent of a child with a disability, you end up asking for help from alot of different people.  Keeping your dignity while you are doing that is not always easy.  It was certainly not easy to admit that we could not afford to pay for the adaptation ourselves and that we could not afford to pay the 60K estimate that was given with the original proposal.  When you feel like you are being condescended to because you ask a question, it is not only frustrating but extremely humiliating.


On top of it, I tried to contact the various supervising units and they all abdicate responsibility – and refer us back to her.  Then Brian and I were arguing about how to respond to her.  I just want the woman to admit that she made a mistake and take responsibility for it – and he just wants to bury it and get the work done.  AARGHH

So, anyway, we hope to get a functional bathroom in which not only Brian but I can give Ronnie a bath on a regular schedule without hurting our backs. I'll let you know how it goes.


'til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment