Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Introducing Uncle Fester

So I’ve decided to resurrect this blog but I need to change its focus. The point of starting this was for me to have somewhere to write about how I feel, how I am doing, how my family is doing, our struggles, our failures, our triumphs and our laughter…for me to feel connected and to celebrate the little battles we win on a daily basis. And for me to bitch about the battles we lose ‘cause Lord knows we do some of that as well. 

In order for me to be able to do this with consistency and I hope some success, I cannot write for an unknown audience; it just doesn’t work for me. I need to have an intended recipient even if it’s an imaginary one.  I think I will name this journal Uncle Fester. Why Uncle Fester? I’ll get to that one day. But that day is not today.

So buckle up my sweeties; we are off to the rides.

Dear Uncle Fester,

Today was my first day back at work from a week off. Dare I say it? Why not: I was actually happy to be back at work; weirdJ  Actually, I do enjoy my job. Obviously there are some aspects I enjoy more than others but overall I like working. Having time off is fun for the first couple of days but after that I get lazy. I find it hard to get motivated. For example, I was hoping to clean up the front garden that you, dear diary, are named after but I didn’t get to it. Well, in my defense it was pouring rain for most of the week but between you and me, I fear that even if it had been sunny, the garden would still be weedy. Anyway, I do like working and I like the people I work with.

Today for example Laura (one of my bosses) and I went on a field trip. My other boss (Cynthia) is stepping down from her post in a couple of months and Laura and I are in charge of finding a gift for her. She really likes jewelry and has an artist she visits regularly for handmade pieces. Anyway Laura and I got to step out of the office for a while and meet with her. She had actually made something special for Cynthia which at first I don’t think Laura and I were too thrilled with but the more we looked at it, the nicer it became. I think Cynthia will really like it. And university business was conducted as Laura and I reviewed some work stuff on the drive there and back so it was a win/win. I do so appreciate the fact that I have reached a point in my career that my opinion and comments are listened to – doesn’t always happen when you are an assistant.

Anyway, once we got back to the office, we got to eat cakeJ as it was Mariela’s birthday. Then I stayed to listen to a presentation on her major project and frankly Uncle Fester, I was bored out of my mind. Big mistake; ugh. It’s so boring I don’t even want to tell you about it.

Anyway, tonight I have a meeting with the Board for Ronnie’s day camp. We shall see how the first two days of activities have gone, especially today as I think we were expecting a full house and we are not sure how this coordinator is working out. I think he is a little out of his depth (I’m being polite).

Tomorrow should be an interesting day as well: Ronnie is having dental surgery to repair her cavities and fix the broken front tooth and Emma will be babysitting four kids. I know, four of them – that’s just crazy. Bless her heart that she has agreed to take this on for her first real babysitting job. Ok, so they are not that young (2 x 11 and 2 x 8) but still it is four kids. I hope it goes well for her. And she gets to make a bit of money which she’s happy about.

I actually feel really bad that we won’t be around to provide support or see her off. The kid already feels like she can’t ask anyone for help (long story) but I’d like her to know that she has our support and that we are so very proud of her despite what she may think.


My stop on the train is coming up Uncle Fester so I think I must end this first missive.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment