Friday, March 23, 2012

Perception is reality

So not much to update yet.  I've made an appointment with a therapist for hubby and I.  We're looking for coping strategies and ways to help kiddo deal with whatever is making her cut.  It was a very stressful week but I think my brain is starting to come to terms with it.  I do admit however, that I heard Pink's F*** Perfect this morning on my walk up from the train and I almost started to cry.  The lyrics just seem to say everything I'd like the kiddo to believe.

Perception is a weird thing.  I know alot of people pick on Dr. Phil but he had some truisms that just made sense.  One of my favorites was "perception is reality".  It doesn't matter how hard someone tries to convince you of something - your perception is based on your reality; wether is a good reality of not is irrelevent; its your reality.  I think that's where kiddo is.  She's got all these people (including the school friend who tattled on her) telling her good things but she just doesn't want (or can't) choose to see it.

In the meantime we've hidden all the sharp objects that she could conceivably use to cut herself with and we continue to talk with her.  Maybe one day she'll be she's important enough to care about herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment