Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Oh my, plinched fingers anyone?

So yesterday, Emma broke her pinky finger at school.  A rogue basketball was the perpetrator.  Apparently it took a wrong bounce and smacked her finger.  The boys gym teacher took a look at it during the lunch break and suggested that it might be broken.  So she and I met up after school and walked in the Emergency room. 

Like a big girl she got xrays and then they put on a massive splint.  We have to make an appointment with plastic surgery in two weeks for a follow-up.  However, when the nurse put the splint on, she saw the marks on her arms.  It was almost funny the way they did it, but once she was finished wrapping her finger, she directed us towards a private exam room and told us to wait.  When the doctor strode in she asked me to leave and according to Emma she said the nurse had noticed the marks and did I (her mother) know about them and was she speaking to anyone.  Emma said yes and then said she was speaking to the guidance councillor at school. They (there were 2 docs) said okay and then left.  I admit I'm a little surprised that they didn't confirm with me 'cause she could have been lying but frankly the marks would have been hard to miss - especially when the nurse was splinting her arm.

After supper we sort of talked about it again, and apparently Sam's mother (one of her friends) is a therapist specializing in teenage issues and she's trying to therapize Emma through Sam.  It's kind of funny but I can see how Emma's getting a little annoyed. She just needs to realize that people are worried.  We are being in a pain in the ass because we care - if we didn't we wouldn't bother.

Obviously she's got lots of friends she can count on which is very nice.  I would like her to speak to someone impartial however.  Still working on it.  We will be meeting with the therapist for the first time tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment