Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day isolation

I've finally managed to break out of the 'mother's day isolation' cell.  What is the 'mother's day isolation' cell you wonder?  Well, when Emma was little, all she understood is that this was a special day to honour mommy and that mommy was not supposed to do any work and have some peace and quiet.  She also understood that breakfast in bed was de rigeur.  So, from the time she was about 2 years old, my mother's day began with being isolated in my bedroom.

I was not allowed to go to the bathroom,was not allowed to get out of bed, was not allowed to stand at the doorway and just talk to her and her dad as they made breakfast.  I was stuck in my bed and would get yelled at at the first sign of mutiny on my part.

At first it was kinda fun but then it became kinda boring and then it felt isolating.  In her head she was respecting the 'mother's day' tradition, but for me I was in my bedroom by myself with no one to interact with because no one else was allowed in there with me after coffee and breakfast were delivered. 

So this year I've broken out of the cell.  Just got up and sat down at the kitchen table and practically dared anyone to send me back to my room.  Thankfully, I was allowed to stay out and enjoy my kids and hubby and they waited on me hand and foot - well, not really but you get the picture.

Best mother's day ever.

'til next time.

1 comment: