Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I'm over it now

So, my last post wasn't friendliest on the face of the earth but we were NOT have a very good weekend.  Things have turned around some although we are still having some issues.  I must admit however that I'm starting to dread any sentence that begins with the words "um, I know you are not going to like this but...".  It always leads to something she's forgotten to do or a test she's failed or something she's lost.  She's lost her freakin' shoes for God's sake.  How do you do that? I ask her.  Didn't you notice when you were barefoot???  Seriously, when I say she lost her shoes I mean she lost at least one shoe.  We had to go and get her a new pair…
Anyway, as I was saying things have gotten a bit better this week.  The daffodils are blooming, the grubs that are eating our grass seem to have gone back underground, Ronnie is learning how to move her wheelchair at school and Emma is approaching the end of her first year of high school and realizing that organization is not such a bad thing.
She’s starting to realize I think that some of the crappy grades she is getting are the result of her not being organized or just simply not keeping track of deadlines.  She studies the wrong verbs for a French test; she has a dictée and doesn’t take note of the website she’s supposed to look at; she’s absent from school and is too embarrassed to ask her friends or the teachers what she has missed… Not noting deadlines however is a big one.
And frankly, she doesn’t do so well under pressure.
So now she has one month to up her grades (French grade in particular) and she’s going to have to start keeping track of things.   Maybe we should have intervened earlier but I think it’s a lesson she needs to learn.  Also, we’ve tried to intervene and get roundly told off.  So now we’ve asked her to write down in her agenda deadlines/work that needs to be done on a daily basis.  No facebook, youtube or anything else until she gets herself back on track.  We won’t let her slack off this time.  The last thing she wants to do is fail her semester. 
I’m sure it will work out but she’s such a smart kid; she can do so much better than she is now.  I think she got used to not having to try and it is a hard habit to break.
‘til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment