Saturday, April 23, 2011

Playing Possum

As I zip through Facebook checking upates and reading all the various blogs Ronnie patiently sits in her wheelchair waiting for someone to pay attention to her.  I poked her in the arm with my finger and she just stared at me as if saying "yeah, and?". 

Because Emma and I drive to the train station together in the morning, my morning schedule has completely changed.  Beforehand I would be gone to work before the girls were even awake.  Now, I make Ronnie's breakfast and get to see her before Emma and I leave. Anyway, it always makes me laugh when we go to wake Ronnie up and she plays possum... She lies on her side facing away from the door with her head under one of the pillows and curled up like a question mark.  You rub her back and say her name softly and then she sort of half rolls over and blinks her eyes at you.  The you say "good morning Ronnie" and she rolls away from you and curls up tighter with her head back under the pillow.

Then while she is eating her breakfast I sit down beside her and put some makeup on and finish my coffee.  Everynow and then I'll look over at her and she's just staring at me... I have no idea what she's thinking but its almost like she's accusing me of something.  Maybe she thinks its my fault she has to wake up?? Anwyay, I'll look back at her and ask "what?"  Then she usually just smiles at me and looks back at her dad for her next bite.

Just makes me think that as different as we think our kids can be they are just kids... they play possum just as well as so-called "regular" kids.

'til next time

No comments:

Post a Comment