Friday, January 28, 2011

Why 2 is alot like 12

So yesterday we went to the local YMCA to check it out; we are thinking of joining.  As much as I'd like to lose weight and get in shape without help, I am starting to come to the realization that it is not going to happen if I don't do anything to help myself out.

Anyway, afterwards, we went to Tim Hortons for coffee and a donut (ironic, no?) and I'm looking at Emma and she has frosting on her face.  So I'm like "you have frosting on your face kiddo" and she swipes at it.  A few minutes later, she again has frosting on her face.  We started to laugh and made a joke about how much being a 12 year old is like being a 2 year old.  Here's a list of what they have in common:

temper tantrums; they think they know it all; they ignore their parents; they have temper tantrums; they have food on their faces; they say "I love you" all the time; temper tantrums... Did I say temper tantrums yet?

When they are two years old they are learning their boundaries and discovering how far they can push them and their parents.  When they are twelve years old, they are once again learning their boundaries to see how far they can push them and their parents.

It's taken us a while to figure that out but now that we have, we've managed to take hold of the drama and the behavior.

God I hope 13 is not like 3.... 3 was wayyyyyy worse 2...

'til next time.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. I have been trying to find blogs about pre-teens...most that I follow are talking about the joys and woes of 0-10 year olds. Which I can now put into some perspective when I think about the troubles with 4 being similar to the troubles at 14! Sheesh..I was soooo happy when my youngest turned 4 1/2. I thought I was finally myself again..you mean this starts all over again at 12? God Help Us ALL!!

    ReplyDelete