Saturday, October 2, 2010

Inspiration and laughter

So since I've started this blog I've been looking at all kinds of articles and blogs that other parents of kids with special needs have written.  None so far related to Angelman syndrome but that doesn't matter.  I think parents of kids with special needs (or special powers) are a unique family that are weirdly related by their experiences.  What strikes me is the positive spin most of the blogs have had.  Yes, there are negative moments but when you child has such difficulties it sort of comes with the territory...

Emma & Mya
Anyway, my point is that a lot of people ask me how I can have such a positive outlook.  When I talk about Ronnie, I feel proud and fiercely protective.  When I talk about Emma, I feel proud and fiercely protective.  Exactly the same. How can I be negative?  I have two incredibly wonderful daughters who are brave, intelligent and funny. They may drive me crazy, but they also make me laugh till I pee...

I have come to realize that there are two kinds of people: those that stagnate and those that move forward.  If you stagnate you will never be happy but always wonder why you are not.  If you can accept your child's disability and incorporate it into your daily life, then you are moving forward - no one gets left behind.  If no one gets left behind, how can you be negative?

'til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment