Wednesday, August 25, 2010

To be a vegetarian or not to be vegetarian; that is the question

Emma has finally finished her book reports and has returned to humanoid behaviour.  This leaves me with not much to complain about (Thankfully) so I think I'll write about food.

My husband became a vegetarian about one year ago following some pretty severe gout attacks.  The gout flared up after he followed a pretty strict high protein diet.  He managed to loose alot of weight but the OD of proteins left him with gout.  After watching this pretty tough guy fight the pain, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Anyway, to try to eliminate all these meat-based proteins, he became a vegetarian.  Its really suprising how touchy people become when you talk about food and their diet; it is such a sensitive topic.  We've been having the vegetarian talk for quite some time before he decided to do it, but in the past I would subtly (or not so subtly) try to sabotage it.  This time seems to have stuck however.  The good news is that he is no longer in pain.  The bad news is that I have to eat more tofu than I really want to.  Thankfully not very often but I'm not a huge fan of tofu...

So here we are with my husband and Ronnie (my youngest) being vegetarians and Emma and myself being staunch carnivores.  Thank God for BBQ season - we all get to eat what we want....

Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment